On Thursday, 20th June 2019, the Federal Government led by Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, Appointed Mele kolo Kyari as the new General Managing Director, (GMD) NNPC, with this development, the media has been awash with different controversial news about who Mr. Kyari is, Well in this post, we have gathered some facts numbering up to 19
When and where was he born?
1. The new NNPC GMD was born on January 8, 1965, in Maiduguri, Borno state.
Which State is he from?
2. Mr. Kyari Mele Kolo hails from Borno State
How about his Primary Education?
3. He attended Government Community Secondary School, Biu between 1977 and 1982
4. He did his NYSC program with the Directorate of Foods, Roads and Rural Infrastructure (DFRRI) between 1987 and 1988
What Position is he since the inception of NNPC
5. Mele Kolo Kyari is now the 19th Group Managing Director of the National Oil Company
When will he assume duty officially
6. His Appointment will start on 8th July 2019
What was his Field of Study before now?
7. Until his new appointment, Mele Kolo Kyari was a geologist At NNPC
8. He was Group General Manager, Crude Oil Marketing Division of NNPC and also doubled, since 13th May 2018, as Nigeria’s National Representative to the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, OPEC.
What is his new appointment
9. Mr. Mele Kolo Kyari as the new Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC)
When did he Start work at NNPC?
10. He joined NNPC in 1991 as a Processing Geophysicist with Integrated Data Services Limited (IDSL)
11. In 1998 he was deployed to National Petroleum Investment Management Services (NAPIMS) has worked as an Exploration Geophysicist
12. In 2007, Mr. Kyari was given the role to head Production Sharing Contracts Management in Crude Oil Marketing Division (COMD)
What about His Tertiary Education
13. Mr. Kyari graduated from the University of Maiduguri in 1987 with a Bachelor of Science in Geology.
14. He was NNPC’s former General Manager, Crude Oil Stock Management, 2014-2015 NNPC Manager, Production Contracts Management- 2008-2014
Why Was he Appointed?
15. His Predecessor, Maikanti Baru is due for retirement on July 7, 2019, hence the appointment of his successor.
Is he related to Abba Kyari, President Buhari’s Chief of Staff?
16. The NNPC GMD is of the Kanuri ethnic stock, Abba Kyari is of the Shuwa group. Though he shares the same surname with him ( President Buhari’s Chief of Staff) but they are not related
17. Kyari was one of those who came up with the NNPC’s commodity trading initiative Since 2016 it has saved Nigeria over 1 billion dollars yearly